Tuesday, June 3, 2008
For Dal * 3/4 cup whole black gram (urad)
* 3/4 cup moong dal & chana dal * 3 onions, chopped finely* 2 tomatoes, chopped finely * 2 tsp garam masala powder * 2 tsp chilli powder * 1 tsp turmeric powder * 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
* 2 green chillies paste* 4 tbsp ghee * 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped finely * Oil * Salt To Taste
For Bati * 5 cups whole wheat flour, sieved
* 1 cup ghee, melted * 2 tbsps curd * Salt To Taste
· Pressure cook moong dal, chana dal & black gram till it becomes soft.
· Heat 4 tbsps oil. Add onions. Brown them.
· Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Fry. Add all the masalas, dal, gram and salt. Simmer till well blended. The gravy should be thick. Pour over ghee.
· Knead a soft dough with flour, ghee, curd, salt and just enough water.
· Roll into lemon-sized balls. Cover and keep for one hour. Then roast in microwave like biscuits
· Garnish the dal with coriander leaves and slit green chillies.
· Dip hot (baati) in the dal while eating.