Saturday, August 16, 2008
Patra leaves (Colocasia leaves)- 1bunch or 6 leaves
For the paste:Besan or gram flour 1 1/2 cupsWheat flour 4 tbspLemon juice 3 tbspTurmeric powder 1/2 tspSugar 3 tspCoriander 1 tbspOil 2 tbsp
Red chilly powder 1tsp
Salt to taste
For the tempering (Vadhar):Sesame seeds 1 tspCumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tspA pinch asafetidaOil 3 tablespoons
For the garnish:Coconut 2 tbspCoriander 1 tbsp
· Chop the coriander.
· Grate the coconut.
· Wash and cut back side veins of colocasia leaf.
· Mix together all the ingredients for the paste with a little water to make a smooth paste.
· Place each piece of the colocasia leaf on a flat surface and spread some of the paste on it.
· Fold to make cylinder rolls . Steam in a steamer for 25 minutes.
· Prepare the tempering by heating the oil in a pan, adding the sesame seeds, cumin seeds, Musturdseeds and asafoetida and stirring for 1/2 minute.
· Toss the paatras in the pan and stir for a few minutes.
· Serve patra garnished with coriander and coconut.